Home * Contact Us * The Authors * Standing @ My Locker... * During "Home School 101"... * Dorm Room Discussions * Worshiping With Your Life~Music and More * On The Playing Field * Youth Group Rocks! * The Roman Road * Here Am I, Send Me * Eve's Peeps * Adam's Dudes * Need Prayer? * How REAL Are Your Relationships? * Devotions

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Standing @ My Locker...- "Through My Eyes"





I have been in public school since kindergarten, so I really don't know any different than what goes on there, and the struggles that I face being a Christian growing up in a public school. But one thing that any Christian in a public school setting would say is that, IT IS NOT EASY!!! There are "giants" to face around every single corner. To some people, the way that we live as a Christian is just ridiculous. They just don't understand the entirety of growing up the way that we have.

So, what I'm going to start out with is a few questions, just to get you thinking about different aspects of being a Christian in public school....

Q. What do you want people to think about you?

A. For me I want people to know that I am a Christian. I don't care what they have to say about it, they can think what they want. I don't want them to think that I am ashamed of my faith... What good will that do in reaching out to them?

Q. Do you get discouraged by your peers and teachers?

A. For me, the majority of my peers and teachers do not share my faith. They just don't understand the things that I believe. But, then there are the few that I know are Christians, and I can talk to them if I start to feel discouraged. From experience I can say that it isn't fun to be "alone" in school. It can feel like you are the only one that is following God's way and you can reach the point where you are asking yourself why God is putting you through this. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to us, but in the end God has a plan for us, and a reason that we are in a public school. As long as you stick to your faith and lay your life, struggles, and problems at God's feet, then you will pull through, and be an example for those around you.



"Pile your troubles on God's shoulders- he'll carry your load, He'll help you out. He'll never let good people topple into ruin." ~Psalm 55:22~

Q. Are you willing to stand up for what you believe in?

A. As a Christian, sometimes other people will test you as to whether you will do what you say that you live for. One of those things is sticking up for your faith and for God. I know that this can be really tough when you think that nobody will take your seriously, but God will help you through it. It may seem crazy, but those opportunities to "prove" your faith, may really be a chance that God is giving you to reach out to that person that is longing for an answer to their constant struggles in life.

Q. When you see someone that's lost in their troubles, will you look to God for help in reaching out to that person?

A. From my point of view, this can be one of the hardest parts of being a Christian in public school. You see so many people with troubles piled onto their shoulders, and all you want to do is reach out to them and tell them about God. The problem is finding the courage to do so. Many of us are afraid that we will be rejected by other people. They may laugh at us or tell us that what we believe is stupid or wrong. But, this is the time that we have to stay strong and be persistent. When God pulls at our hearts to go and talk to someone, it may be the only chance that that particular person will hear the gospel. It won't be easy for us to talk to them but really we aren't the ones talking, we are being God's hands and feet and he is talking through us.

Q. Ever get called a "Bible Banger", "Jesus Freak" or "Goody Two Shoes"???

A. "Goody Two Shoes" is one that I have gotten before. People think that just because you're a Christian you can't mess up and can't do anything wrong, and if you do mess up or do something wrong, it's a HUGE deal! So it makes you feel like you have to be perfect (or at least close to it since only God is perfect) when you are at school and around your friends. And from experience, I know that it is really hard. No one is looking at them thinking that they have to be perfect, only you because of what you believe. But, my advice to you, take it as a compliment. Don't let it get to your head that you have to be perfect all the time. I mean, you want to shine a light, but don't take on so much pressure to always please everyone else that it makes you stressed and afraid of messing up.



"Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid of them! The Lord your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you." ~ Deuteronomy 31:16~


  • I would love to hear about your struggles as you make it through public school, and stories that you have to share!
  • Also your answers to these questions would be great too!
Abbie :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Woohoo, Abbie! That was awesome! You did a great job! *THUMBS UP!*

Anonymous said...

You did an amazing job Abbie!!!

Hannah said...

Awesome job. :)

Abbie said...

Thanks guys :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Abbie! You just blow me away with your thoughts & wisdom. I LOVE YOU!!!
Aunt Leah

Anonymous said...

Wow, Abbie! I am so proud of you! Keep standing up for the right!
Love you lots! Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

That was really good. I have gotten called Goodie Two Shoes alot and I know what its like to struggle with all of that. It is very hard, becasue when someone called me that it brought mee down alot.

Abbie said...

I know how you feel. What other people say can really get to us, expecially when we are grouped with "non-believers". You just have to remember to keep your head held high and don't be afraid to let Jesus shine through you!!!!

Post a Comment